Finally a window of weather to the Bahamas

2/28/16
Key Biscayne, FL, Outside No Name Harbor
Position: 25 40.371N, 080 09.930W
Posted by Bill

We left Tarpon Basin on the 26th and took a short hop up Florida Bay, anchoring off of a well known bar called Gilberts. It is on the road that runs from the mainland to Key Largo, and has a reputation for insane parties on the weekends. We took our dinghies in to take advantage of the rib dinner special. Gilberts has a great waterfront setup. A small beach and several large tiki huts, and tables all over, both outside and inside the tiki huts. We chowed the rib special (not very good ribs, but acceptable) and really enjoyed the drink specials for happy hour. As we departed to return to our boats, the wind had kicked up and we got pretty wet riding back. Here are some pictures.
Gilberts:
IMG_2023
The gang at Gilberts:
IMG_2025
Our boat, Island Bound, at anchor off of Gilberts:
IMG_2024

Then yesterday, we motor sailed up into Biscayne Bay, into Dinner Key marina and took a mooring ball. Dinner Key is in the town of Coconut Grove on the south side of Miami, and is a great place to go ashore. One of our favorite restaurants is there…Flannigans…and we enjoyed a great meal. Our buddy boats, Island Bound, followed by Sea Lyon, sailing up Biscayne Bay:
DSC_0074
Miami skyline coming into view:
DSC_0081

Today, the winds shifted and kicked up some nasty waves in our mooring field, so we decided to move across the bay to Key Biscayne and No Name Harbor to get some protection from the winds. This is also a popular place to stage to jump to the Bahamas, so we figured we would hang there and watch the weather for a few days. Any of the weather windows that looked good in the forecast seemed to fall apart, but the week ahead held promise. We went ashore in No Name Harbor and had dinner at the small restaurant there. The harbor was packed with boats and people, more than I have ever seen in there. The latest weather shows a good crossing to the Bahamas tomorrow, so we will plan on a departure at first light, checking again in the morning before we go. The plan is go head to Bimini, and if the weather is good, continue on to New Providence Island. If the weather is not good, we will stay in Bimini until it improves.

Picture of the mass of boats in No Name Harbor:
IMG_2031

One thought on “Finally a window of weather to the Bahamas

Leave a Reply or Subscribe